A little over two weeks out from my goal race, I caught a cold. It didn't seem like a huge deal, but I was cautious about it, even calling in sick to work one day to give my body the best shot at kicking it.
Two days later, it settled into my lungs.
That weekend, I tried to do a 10 mile shakeout run, along my usual path from Home to my parents. I knew I was in trouble three miles in, but ignored everything my body was saying and just tried to tough it out.
Seven miles in, on my way up a long slow uphill, I knew I was done. I could have walked the rest of the way to my parents, but due to time constraints I actually had to call my dad to come pick me up and drive me home.
This week was my last chance to see if I could shake this off and do the half. Just walking around and doing my day to day activity was more than enough for me to know the half was out of the question. Aside from the coughing and heavy feeling in my chest, pushing myself as hard as I did during that 7 mile run aggravated my hip and my left foot.
So, I'm registering a DNS. Trying to do the right thing and listen to my body, reset, and continue training with an eye (tentatively) on a fall half.
I've been quiet, because I didn't want to write this post. I didn't want to face this decision, and make it real. As recently as this morning, watching the Boston Marathon in all it's inspiring glory, I kept thinking "Maybe I can do it, if I take it easy."
But I think the hip pain was the deciding factor. I don't want to push it, try to do this race, and end up laid up for weeks (or worse.)
So yeah, that's where I'm at.