Weight Tracker

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Don't Call it a Comeback

The day after my letter to myself, my kind of declaration that I would push myself to find the time to run, my toddler got sick. Really sick. The kind of sick where the doctor has you come straight in and the words "we are going to do everything we can to keep her out of the hospital" are used.

The next week was a blur of doctors appointments, nebulizer treatments, missed days at work, and very little sleep.

Luckily, the Munchkin pulled through like a champ, and no hospitalization was necessary.

But a whole week disappeared. The only exercise I got that whole week beyond the normal exercise of schlepping a toddler to and fro was a two mile walk along the canal to get us both out of the house on Friday.

While walking along with the Munchkin tucked in the stroller, and admiring the amazing leaves on the trees, I got the urge to run. I really wanted to just book along the path with those super colorful leaves whirring past all around me. So I did a couple of short sprints (in jeans mind you.)

It was upsetting how quickly I got winded sprinting along, but I reminded myself that a)I was sprinting at top speed, and b)I was pushing a 35 lb. toddler in a stroller.

But those short sprints made up my mind. I was determined to find time to get myself back to running. Just as soon as I got my kid back to healthy.

So since she was healthy and back at Day Care on Tuesday, I decided that was it. I had to run. My (very understanding) Hubby agreed to pick the Munchkin up so I would have time to run before he got home and we had to head to his parents for Family dinner night. I get out at 4:30, he gets out at 5:00, we both work the same distance from home, so I'd have between 30 & 45 minutes before he got home, depending on how long it took him to get the Munchkin ready to leave Day Care.

It worked beautifully. I got home, changed and jumped on the treadmill. I queued up an episode of Fringe (which yes, I have been saving for the treadmill.) I set an easy pace, and decided I'd go for a time goal and not a distance goal. Half an hour to start.

New Shoes!
I am breaking in a brand new pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 17's, which I got on a super awesome sale online. When I first got on the treadmill, they felt a little bigger than my Brooks Ravenna's, but I think that's mostly because I haven't been wearing my running shoes a lot lately (I wear a size bigger in my running shoes than my normal every day shoes.) As soon as I settled into the run, I mostly forgot I was wearing new shoes. Which I guess is a good thing!

The run itself felt awesome. I averaged around a 12' pace. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard, and, if I hadn't run out of time, I felt I could have run longer. My legs felt good, and so did my feet. There were none of the nagging aches and twinges I'd been having before my unexpected month long vacation from running. I did a couple of faster "intervals" towards the end of the run, just bumping the speed up a bit to stretch my legs out and get my lungs working.

After a half hour, The Hubby still wasn't home, so I had time to jump in the shower, ice my legs, and then take a full, hot, relaxing shower. It was awesome.


I'm resting the legs today, even though they feel good. I'm going to try to do some upper body strength work later tonight when I get home from work. Maybe some Yoga if I feel motivated.

It's not a comeback....yet.



3 comments:

  1. It is TOTALLY a comeback! Go you! I'm glad your hubs supported you getting back into the run. Mostly, I am super, super glad your Munchkin is ok and didn't have to go to the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job!!! You go girl! Glad munchkin feels much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck yeah! I'm with Meg....it's definitely a comeback! I love that your hubs supported you. That is so important, especially when a kiddo is involved. I wouldn't be able to do it without the support of my Fella and we only have dogs! And so glad to hear that your little one is okay!

    ReplyDelete