Weight Tracker

Monday, December 23, 2013

Hills are my enemies, but I will make them my friends

I think those hills hit me harder than I thought. That or the additional strain of chasing my daughter around the Museum of Play for two hours was just too much.

I woke up Sunday morning and my thighs ached. I took some advil, stretched, and went on my day. I had a busy day planned (we still had a bunch of christmas shopping left) so I was planning on doing my long run later after my daughter went to bed.

About an hour into shopping, the dull ache along the front of my thighs started to get worse. By the time we finished shopping I was actually starting to limp. Every now and then the dull ache would intensify into a sharp pang.

I kept hoping the ache would ease up and I'd be able to get at least a short run in, but no such luck. It's still a little sore today. I'm contemplating doing a short run later tonight if I have time, or just waiting until my scheduled run on tuesday and adding a couple miles on.

I've realized I may have trouble sticking to my run schedule over the holidays, so I'm going to try to stick to it as close as possible, but not be militant about it. Whatever happens I can just pick up again after the first and still have plenty of time to hit my distance goals by April.

The race this weekend was a real eye opener for me. On one hand, it was great to realize that I could run a 5k and not feel like I was totally dead afterwards. On the other hand, I'm really disappointed that the race took so much out of me. I do think most of it was that I had not prepared for hills....at all. So, i'm going to have to make sure to find a way to do hills in my training. Unfortunately the incline on my treadmill doesn't work, so I'll have to figure something else out.

No comments:

Post a Comment