Weight Tracker

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Running with company

My usual tuesday run was made much better this week by two things. One, the weather (and the time change) allowed for the run to be moved outside. I can't tell you how much better that felt. Two, my SIL joined me on the run for the first time in a long time!

Since I knew my SIL wouldn't be up for a long run (she's just getting back into running) I headed up to the reservoir early to get a few laps in. It was funny, when I was getting there, the Fleet Feet training group was just getting started on doing their hill repeats, so I got to chat with one of the runners on my way up the hill. There were a TON of people there taking advantage of the weather!

Once I got up to the top of the hill and onto the track that loops around the reservoir, I settled into a nice easy pace. I had a rough time for the first loop, and I was starting to wonder if I had rested my legs enough. They really felt awful. But after the first loop (each loop is about a 1/4 mile) my legs started to warm up, and the run started to feel good. Easy. I just kinda cruised around the loop, enjoying being outside and doing some casual people watching. Those fleet feet people are hard core.

I wasn't really paying attention to my distance or my pace, just kinda relaxed into the run waiting for my SIL to show up. I had to stop when she called me to answer my phone, and then did a little walking when meeting up with her.

Once we were running together, I let her set the pace. I was surprised to find I was able to have a conversation while we ran. That is the first time that's ever happened for me. We ended up taking two walk breaks during the one and a half loops we did once my SIL showed up. Not bad for her first serious run.

While we were finishing up our run, I was surprised to hear my phone chirp out the three mile mark. I honestly didn't feel like I had run that far.

All in all it was an awesome run.




1 comment:

  1. I love that feeling of surprise when you realize you kicked a run's butt. Go you!

    ReplyDelete